TATTOO AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS
Unless told otherwise by your tattooer.
1. Remove the bandage within 2-6 hours, once you’re in a clean environment and can wash your new tattoo properly.
2. Using a gentle liquid soap (such as Dr. Bronner’s or Johnson & Johnson baby soap) wash your hands, then your tattoo. You do NOT need antibacterial or antimicrobial soap. DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF HARSH SOAP OR SCRUB.
3. Allow the tattoo to air dry. DO NOT TOWEL DRY THE TATTOO; towels can harbor bacteria.
4. REMEMBER THAT YOUR NEW TATTOO IS ESSENTIALLY AN OPEN WOUND. Sleep in clean, freshly laundered garments and on clean sheets for the first few nights after getting tattooed. Also avoid sleeping in anything you are worried about getting dirty, as the new tattoo may be moist for the first night or so.
5. Starting the next day, if your tattoo feels a bit dry and tight after washing, you may use a gentle, unscented moisturizing lotion, such as Aveeno or Lubriderm. Remember to always wash your hands, then the tattoo, let tattoo air dry, THEN apply lotion 1-2x daily as needed. DO NOT APPLY LOTION TO DIRTY SKIN WITH DIRTY HANDS.
WHILE YOUR TATTOO IS HEALING:
NO TANNING OR EXPOSURE TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT. NO SWIMMING IN ANY KIND OF WATER. NO HOT TUBS, NO DIRECT EXPOSURE TO GYM EQUIPMENT. DO NOT EXPOSE YOUR NEW TATTOO TO ANY WATER YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO GET IN YOUR MOUTH.
DO NOT PICK OR SCRATCH AT YOUR TATTOO WHILE IT IS HEALING.
Unless you’re washing your tattoo, keep your hands off until it is healed.